Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New Things



We are finally more or less settled into our new place in Kimberley. It's been a very crazy Fall so far, but now I'm feeling like I can relax and get into the rhythm of things.
Our rental house is great. It's not to big, and not too small. It has three stories and four bedrooms, and it looks just like a little European chalet. It's in a great location too. Five minute walk to the Overwaitea, and 15 min walk to what they call the Platzl (a little outdoor mall). Kimberley (pop 6,000) is a very cute and touristy little town, both for summer and winter. It used to be an old mining town but when that closed in the 90s they turned into a Bavarian village. It also hosts Canada's largest free standing cuckoo clock. Pretty exciting! :p
Anyway, it has a lot more charm then Cranbrook. And less hicks too.

However, because it is rather high up in the mountains, we seemed to have left Autumn behind before it even got a chance. We have about 4 inches of snow as I write, and last week we got about 6 inches. The poor leaves haven't even had a chance to change colour and fall off, they are just wilting on the branches under the snow. It's a little depressing because I love Fall so much. But that's what we get for moving to a mountain ski village. At least it's pretty, and the snow is soft and fluffy and not wet.
Cecil has taken to his winter routine without a problem. All he does is sleep on our bed all day long. Lazy fair weather cat.
Gwendalyn thought the snow was pretty interesting though. She found it very fascinating to eat. Though anything you can put in your mouth and swallow is awesome in her books.

She is adjusting very well to her new house and routine. She has been is such a good mood lately. She just loves having Cecil around. Although he did bite her the other day because she pulled his fur rather hard before I could stop her. It was good for both of them though, and now she respects his boundaries much better. And I have been teaching her to be "gentle" with him, so she understands she can't go around pulling out his fur and whiskers. He is such a good cat with her though. He really puts up with a lot.
Gwendalyn still isn't quite crawling yet, which is just fine by me. She is starting to get her first tooth, which I can just see the top of.

And James is enjoying his job, though the days are very long. At least he gets to be outside most of time. But because of his long days, I am becoming quite the housewife. I am learning to cook! I even have his dinner ready when he gets home from work most days! Go me!

We also had a great Thanksgiving. Rob and Brad (James' brother and good friend) drove up and spent the weekend. It was pretty chill. We just hung out, had a simple dinner of bought roasted chicken, oven baked stuffing, and mashed potatoes. Then we played the most awesomest Star Trek board game ever and drank sake. It was excellent.



Our fast and easy Thanksgiving dinner.


Gwendalyn stuffing her face with stuffing.


After Rob and Brad left we took a little hike on the trails up behind our house. The view is great from up there. The weather was sunny but pretty cold.



The view looking East from the ridge above our house.



That's about all for now. My next project will be setting up my studio. I have a great little loft room on the top floor with so much storage I could stash all the fabric I've ever owned up there. Hahahaha!!!
Well, here's some pics of our cute little house and snowy yard :)





2 comments:

  1. I decree you, your house, and your baby CUTE. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sonya, soo cool for you guys! It looks very sweet, and gwen is of course, adorable. I'm glad your happy and james is adjusting to his new job. If it helps, we just started in on the rainy season here so, snow or rain, you choose :) Thanks for the post. It's been forever.....

    ReplyDelete

Followers