Monday, February 22, 2010

Stirring

So according to the Elves there are six seasons; Spring, Summer, Autumn, Fading, Winter and Stirring. Well we are in Stirring right now up here in the mountains. The weather is beautiful, the rising sun is slowly climbing higher up the ridge to the east and I heard the Spring Bird (as I call it) the other morning. You know the one with the two note song, a high note followed by a lower note. Can anyone tell me what that bird is called?

It has still been pretty cold in the morning, sometimes as low as -10, but the sun is so warm, and it comes in my south facing windows all day long. Everything seems to be stirring. The squirrels are scampering about the still naked tree branches, the deer are sunning themselves in the front yard and I'm sure the bears are awake by now. Most of the snow has yet to melt, but the sun will see to that.
Luckily I have to make a trip to the post office again today so it's a wonderful excuse to walk into town. Not that I need one, but I like my walks to have a point. Not sure why, I guess it just makes them more meaningful and I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

Speaking of accomplishing things I had my best sale yet at my etsy store on Sunday (hence the post office trip). I sold my lovely green velvet elvish shrug along with a pair of cuffs.
I'm very happy and slightly surprised at how well my etsy shop is doing in the two months I've been actively working on it. I can't seem to keep my new listings up with my sales. I should make that my new goal.

We had a great last few weeks as well. The hubby's family came for a visit last weekend and that was great fun. It's good for Gwen to have her grandparents and uncle around for a while, and they miss her so much. I really wish they could all live closer for that reason. I loved growing up close to my grandparents and it makes me sad to think she may not have that.

This past weekend we went to the local dog sled races with our friends. There were lots of crazy, hyper, barking dogs and Gwen thought it was great. Anything to do with animals she loves. And the weather was beautiful of course, so it was nice to get out in the sun and soak up that vitamin D.

I haven't been taking many photos lately, so I must remedy that soon, but enjoy these few.


Go doggies, go!



A woodpecker going crazy on the hydro pole outside


Gwen learning to stand. She is practicing so hard. I'm so proud of her :)



5 comments:

  1. Is it the White Throated Sparrow? http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/id
    That's my favourite bird call and it's pretty distinctive.
    Also, your daughter is seriously adorable. :)

    Jan M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you talking about the bird that sounds like a very melodic version of Nelson's "ha-ha!" from the Simpsons?

    I like the 6 seasons. They make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a black-capped chickadee. That's their spring sound. http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=12
    I've conducted a wide-range survey to acquire this knowledge, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya, i checked out your Etsy stuff. Beautiful work... Really, im jealous of what you're accomplishing with your art :) Good work sonya. I love the rain shrug, the leather collar and the little military jackets the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers