Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a Girl!

Gwendalyn Sequoia Lindsay has finally arrived! She was a week late, but worth all that waiting.
I think that sunny day at the lake made her decide that coming into the world wouldn't be that bad after all.

The labour and delivery went very well as labours go. My contractions started around 6pm on January 15th after going for a walk (and doing a little skipping down the trail for good measure) and eating half a pineapple. I called the Dr. at 7:00 and she said just stay at home, take a shower and relax. Which I did. Then I called again at 12am and she said I was doing very well, and just to stay where I was comfortable until the contractions got worse.
For some reason I expected them to be even worse then they were, but we left the house at 4:30am to beat the traffic and it was sure a good thing we did.
We got to the hospital by 6am and was 7 cm dilated. She was out at 8:40am on January the 16th, weighing in at 8 pounds. I only pushed for about half an hour.
The neat thing was that my water never broke until she crowned and this is considered to be very good luck in many cultures and traditions. I found an interesting read about it on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

Everyone was so overjoyed that she was a girl due to the possibility of me having a hemophiliac boy. Everyone but the hematologist that is, who was visibly disappointed :)

I'm just so overjoyed by the whole experience, with any anxiety that I wouldn't make a good mom gone completely out the window. It's amazing the instincts we have. And this is from someone who never changed a diaper or willingly held a baby in her life. I never really thought much of babies at all before, but I could just stare at Gwendalyn for hours on end and not get bored. She is just so beautiful it makes me want to cry.



My beautiful girl ^_^





Hardly an hour old




Daddy and Gwen snoozing in the morning


2 comments:

  1. oh sonya, so cute : ) I know what you mean about instincts. I so wasnt a baby person, not really wanting to hold, change, listen to etc... And then you have your own and you change in that instant that you first see them : ) Good job sonya, it was wonderful to see you and james being such relaxed, calm parents yesterday : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet pictures Sonya! She is so cute :) I love the one of Gwendalyn and James.

    ReplyDelete

Followers